Friday, May 14, 2010

Fabulous Artichokes!

Call me strange but ever since I was a kid, one of my favourite things to eat has been a steamed artichoke.  I was lucky enough to visit the home town of Artichokes - Castroville, California on my honeymoon in 99.  Although I have not yet managed to sell my husband on them, my 7 year old loves them! We had this for dinner tonight dipped in Hollandaise with a side of brown rice. Don't knock it until you try it!


Steamed Artichokes


4 large artichokes (I actually did 6 baby ones tonight and still very tasty) washed with stems and 1/4 of top cut off so pointy ends removed
4 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped in half
1 onion, quartered
2 quarts water


Instructions


Fill large pot with 2 quarts water.  Add onions and garlic.  Bring water to a boil.


Place steamer basket in water if you have it, with artichokes on top.


Cover and boil for 45 minutes.  Place one on each plate with a bowl of sauce and preferred side dish.



How to Eat an Artichoke


1. Pull off outer petals, one at a time.
artichoke-5.jpg artichoke-4.jpg
2. Dip white fleshy end in melted butter or sauce. Tightly grip the other end of the petal. Place in mouth, dip side down, and pull through teeth to remove soft, pulpy, delicious portion of the petal. Discard remaining petal.
artichoke-10.jpg artichoke-11.jpg
Continue until all of the petals are removed.
artichoke-6.jpg artichoke-7.jpg
3. With a knife or spoon, scrape out and discard the inedible fuzzy part (called the "choke") covering the artichoke heart. The remaining bottom of the artichoke is the heart. Cut into pieces and dip into sauce to eat.
artichoke-8.jpg artichoke-9.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment